Keto Diet For Weight Loss: Many of us have heard of Ketogenic diet which is also popularly known as Keto diet for weight loss but what exactly this diet is? The term “Ketogenic” basically refers to a low-carb diet which is quite similar to the Atkins diet. The idea behind keto diet is to get more calories from the protein and fat along with cutting down the carbohydrates from your diet. You must first cut back most common carbs that are easy to digest, such as sugar, soda, pastries, and white bread.
From quite some time, this diet has been followed by many, as it is not only useful in weight loss but also it can cause a great amount of fall in the blood-sugar and insulin levels, along with providing additional various health benefits. Today, we are going to talk about Ketogenic diet and how it is useful for Weight Loss.
Table Of Contents
What Is Ketogenic Diet? How It Works in Weigh Loss?
As we have said above, ketogenic diet is a very low-carb, high-fat diet where the intake of carbohydrate is reduced and is switched with fat. Due to this diet, the body gets into another metabolic state which is named ketosis as there will be considerable amount of drop in the carbs in your body. When this happens, your body becomes quite efficient at burning fat for energy in extreme rate. Furthermore, the diet also helps in converting the fat into ketones in the liver, which is helpful in supplying energy for the brain.
For weight loss, what Ketogenic Diet does is that it break down the protein and fat for energy, which can make your body to lose weight. When your body gets less than 50 grams of carbs a day, it will ultimately runs out of fuel (blood sugar) and this takes around 3 to 4 days. Your body takes more calories for changing fat into energy as compared to changing carbs into energy.
A ketogenic diet is very helping in losing extra weight and fat from your body in the first 3 to 6 months as compared to some other diets. Another reason for its effective results is that when you eat high-fat, high-protein diet, it satisfies you more and makes you full easily because of which you eat less.
What to Eat On A Ketogenic Diet?
Here is the list of healthy foods items that you should take while you are on a ketogenic Diet. Here are some of the following:
- Nuts and Seeds
- Low-Carb Vegetables
- Meat and Poultry
- Plain Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Unsweetened Coffee and Tea
- Dark Chocolate and Cocoa Powder
- Celery and peppers with herbed cream cheese dip
- Parmesan crisps
- Keto smoothie made with coconut milk, cocoa and avocado
What Should I Prefer in Ketogenic Diet And What to Avoid?
If you want to follow keto diet properly, then there are certain Do’s & Don’ts that you must follow when you are planning or following this diet. Here are some of these:
Keto Diet Do’s
- You should eat Fatty animal protein such as Meat, bacon, eggs, fish, etc.
- You must have to eat two to three times a day.
- Use only Olive, canola and palm oil in your diet as well as cacao butter latte.
- Don’t eat more when you are already full.
- Consume vegetables such as spinach, kale, lettuce, broccoli and cucumbers
- Have a morning routine exercises for your muscles, and do stretching, or hold a squat position.
- For getting faster result, ketone salt supplements can also be taken.
Keto Diet Don’ts
- You should avoid Alcohol during the ketosis phase
- Sugar is not at all recommended in Keto Diet and this also includes artificial sweeteners as well.
- Don’t wait for drinking water until you feel like thirty, just focus on drinking plenty of water.
- Avoid eating fruits like grapes, bananas, citrus and pineapple and starchy vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas and pumpkin.
- You should avoid or limit in taking Carbohydrates such as Bread and pasta.
Is there Any Side Effects of Keto Diet?
Shifting to a diet brings in many changes to your body which is sometimes hard for the body to accept and the same implies with the Keto Diet. You might face certain side effects which are usually not serious such as constipation, mild low blood sugar, or indigestion, however, it depends upon person to person. In certain cases, low-carb diets might cause kidney stones or high levels of acid in your body which is commonly known as acidosis. Other minor side effects may consist of headache, weakness, fatigue, etc.
However, you must also be careful while shifting from keto diet as when your body burns its stored fat, this might be hard on your kidneys. And if you start a ketogenic diet and suddenly go back to normal diet after some time then it might lead to certain health issues, particularly if you’re obese. Therefore, it is highly recommend making your diet changes quite slowly and it shouldn’t be sudden. Make sure to get the guidance of your doctor as well to avoid any kind of further issue.
The ketogenic Diet is mostly used by the people to lose weight, but at the same time, it can be very useful in managing certain medical conditions, such as Diabetes, skin conditions, Heart Disease, some cancers and epilepsy, as well. Before starting keto or any other diet, you must consult with your doctor first in order to find out whether it’s safe for you or not, especially when you are suffering from some health conditions like type 1 diabetes.
You must keep up with your Keto Meal Plan and should go ahead and begin your Keto Diet now on a positive note. For best results in less period of time, you must also go for several exercises and workout plan for every day or five days a week. Before starting keto diet, just try to stay positive and dedicated towards your weight loss goal.