Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships: The Canadian Government has launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program to help world-class doctoral students. This scholarship program was launched in the year 2008 to offer significant financial aid for assisting the students during their studies at the universities in Canada.
Vanier scholars establish leadership skills and a big standard of scholarly accomplishment in graduate degrees in several fields including the natural sciences and engineering, social sciences and humanities, or health-related categories. The recipients of the Vanier scholarships program get awarded $50,000 per year for the complete three years. As soon as the program is fully implemented, it is going to support up to 166 scholars every year.
On the other hand, the Vanier CGS program helps the universities of Canada to attract outstanding doctoral students from all around the country and even across the world. These capable and talented scholars help in creating a dynamic as well as the advanced environment on the campuses of Canadian universities. In addition to that, the Vanier scholarship is also referred to as the Rhodes scholarship of Canada.
In this article, you can learn more about Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships. So, keep reading the following information carefully.
Table Of Contents
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Details
- The Vanier CGS program is offered by Canada and is sponsored by the Canadian Government.
- The selected candidates get the scholarship for 3 years of duration.
- The awards total of 166 Scholarships every year and up to 500 scholarships are active at any time.
- The qualifying candidate who gets selected for this scholarship program is awarded $50,000 each year (for 3 years).
- The fields of study available by the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship are Health Research Natural Sciences, Engineering Research, and Social Sciences. Humanities Research is now also open for applications.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Eligibility Criteria
Before you plan to apply for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, you just need to confirm that you along with your nominating institution fulfill all the criteria that we are going to list below. One should take note that nominations that will not meet all of the eligibility criteria of this scholarship are going to be considered ineligible for the program. Here are some of the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships eligibility criteria.
- The applying candidates must be citizens of Canada, Canadian permanent residents, and foreign citizens. If you fall under any of these categories, then you are eligible to get nominated for a Vanier CGS.
- You should be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships quota.
- The applying candidates must be pursuing their first doctoral degree which can also include joint graduate research programs like MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD. One should take note that the Ph.D. portion of a joint degree is only eligible to get funding.
- The candidate must have completed their full-time study for no more than 20 months in their doctoral program as of 1st May 2022.
- You must have completed your full-time study for no more than 32 months in the doctoral program (such as fast-track, accelerated, etc.) as of 1st May 2022.
- The candidates must not hold any doctoral-level scholarship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC for undertaking or completing a doctoral program.
- You should have a doctoral program that includes significant research components leading to the completion of a thesis, scholarly publication, major research project, performance, etc.
- You must have a Joint graduate research program along with a professional degree such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.
- All previous doctoral-level studies, irrespective of discipline, are also considered while evaluating the eligibility.
- The applicant must be registered at the nominating Canadian institution as a full-time student. He/ She should be pursuing a doctoral program or a joint graduate research program, including MA/Ph.D., MSc/Ph.D., or MD/Ph.D.
These were a few eligibility criteria of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships. You can check out the complete list by visiting their official site.
How to Apply for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships?
You can start your application process by researching the Canadian institutions through the Universities Canada official website. We will recommend you to browse every individual website of the university and carefully research the program of interest in which you are interested. After that, you can consult the Vanier CGS quota page for making sure that your institution of interest has a quota for the year in which you are interested to apply. Here are the steps you need to follow carefully:
Step 1: Applications for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships can be initiated any of the two ways:
- First, the student cam informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution regarding their determination for applying to the Vanier CGS program; or
- Or secondly, it can happen when the institution itself initiates the nomination procedure by contacting the anticipated candidate.
Step 2: Applications are needed to be prepared by the student and it should be submitted to the nominating institution before the internal deadline. The last date of applying is set in ResearchNet by the nominating institution and you can submit the application with the help of the ResearchNet application system.
Step 3: Meanwhile, the nominating institution performs the internal selection process of the candidate.
Step 4: The nominating institution will forward the suggested nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) before the deadline.
Step 5: After this, the Secretariat organizes and manages the review process.
Step 6: Now, the Secretariat is going to present the recommendations to the Tri-Agency Programs (TAP) Steering Committee.
Step 7: The TAP Steering Committee recommends and accepts the final decisions for the Vanier CGS program.
Step 8: At last, nominated candidates will be notified regarding their results of the competition.
The Vanier Scholarships are more specifically towards a Doctoral Degree (Ph.D.) or Combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D. or Masters leading to Ph.D. and Ph.D. and are funded by the Canadian Government. The three federal research granting agencies of Canada direct and manage Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships. These agencies are the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council [SSHRC], the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council [NSERC], and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research [CIHR]. On the other hand, the Vanier CGS nominees are appraised by the agency-specific multidisciplinary peer review committees.