On this article, you’ll discover the meaning of Cloud Computing defined. Now, I should warn you: this is advanced technology information including lots of data and facts. Specifically, you’ll discover why it is worth using, its advantages, disadvantages, and a lot more of cloud computing for dummies.
You will receive all these information in one page. Just keep reading till the end of the article. So, are you ready? Let’s do this.
Table Of Contents
Cloud Computing Defined-
Meaning: Cloud Computing is a type of computer operation that relies on remote computer that can be easily accessed through a Local Area Network (LAN) or internet to perform tasks. In simple words, cloud computing is a type of technology that makes use of shared resources to handle operations such as sharing information or software through a network.
There is no real cloud. It is just someone else’s computer that you use remotely.
The history of Cloud Computing begin way back in 1960s when Remote Job Entry (RJE) was developing. However, the term was first introduced by then Google CEO Eric Schmidt and popularized by “Amazon.Com” in 2006 in the form of elastic compute cloud. Cloud storage is another similar term which is used when information is stored on remote database online.
Benefits of Cloud Computing-
Following are the main Advantages of Cloud Computing:
- It can save huge amount of money involved in storage, power, energy, and expert manpower.
- The service provider has the ability manage and maintain administration of your business.
- A recent study shows, cloud computing can have a measurable impact on business. It improved average time to market by 20.66%. Similarly, average increase in company growth and process efficiency were increased by 19.63% and 18.80% respectively.
- It can provide the latest version of software and applications with their timely update needed to operate and grow a business.
- With cloud computing, you can access data from any location whenever you want as long as you have internet access. That also makes easy for your co-workers and employees to get connected with the work.
Disadvantages of Cloud Computing-
- If you use a poor cloud server then you may face downtime problems due to technical issues.
- You cannot access your work without internet. Therefore, you will require a high speed internet connection 24 hours in a day.
- It is always a risk to store information on cloud servers because of the hackers.. Despite the best security efforts made by the service providers, there is always a possibility of your data being leaked.
- It is always difficult to switch service from one platform to another.
- .You don’t get access to the server shell and firmware management as a customer, which is one of those limitations in cloud computing.
Types of Cloud Computing-
It is classified into public, private, hybrid and community based on location. In general, following are the different Categories of Cloud Computing based on offering:
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
Top 10 Cloud Providers for 2018-
This is list of Top 10 most reliable Cloud Computing service providers and their features in brief in the year 2018:
- Amazon Web Services: It supports Identity and Access Management (IAM), Virtual Private Clouds (VPCs), security groups and network ACLs, data encryption, AWS Cloud Trial, Direct Connect, and AWS Trusted Advisor. It also provides tools for building mobile apps such as mobile hub, mobile sdk, secure authentication, storage, serverless cloud, etc. on AWS Mobile product.
- Microsoft Azure: Released in February 10, 2010, MS Azure provides more than 600 different features such as computational, storage and mobile services, data management, media and developer services, machine learning, content delivery network (CDN), etc.
- Salesforce.com: This cloud computing company is one of the best in business for 2018. It provides features such as opportunity tracking, marketing campaigns, file collaboration, email & calendar integration, analytics & forecasting.
- IBM Cloud: IBM beats some other top companies in this list, not to mention their names. It provides the right tools to compute such as bare metal servers, cloud virtual servers, mass storage servers, etc. It also has network tools features such as CDN, network appliances, Domain Name Servers (DNS), Network Security, etc. Similarly, it also provides cloud storage and management, data management, security, analytics, AI, IoT Platform, developer tools, etc.
- SAP Cloud Platform: Features of SAP cloud platform include database services such as in-memory database, data modeling, multitenant database, and multi-tier storage. It also provides analytics processing, app development, data access, administration and security. You will also be able to sign up for a free trial account if you want to try out its features. It has also partnered with Google and Amazon.
- Alibaba: Starting at just $4.50 USD per month at its lowest price, Alibaba cloud storage provides features such as flexible architecture (single node, dual machine hot standby and cluster), backup and recovery, multi layer cyber security protection, deep kernel optimization, elastic scaling, and smart O&M. It is available on both Linux and Windows. Despite being the leading public cloud computing service provider in China as of 2017, Alibaba is successful in other countries such as Russia, US, Israel and Singapore.
- Google Cloud Platform:Released in October 6, 20011, GCP provides features such as ApI Platform and ecosystems (Maps, Apigee, API Monetization, Developer Portal, etc.), storage (cloud storage, SQL, bigtable, spanner, persistent disk, etc.), cloud video intelligence, data studio, data perp, compute, cloud CDN, etc.
- Cloudify: It comes with TOSCA-Based Blueprint modeling, user-friendly graph editor, two way editing, tenant management, etc.
- Green Cloud Technologies: It provides cloud solutions in the form of channel focused cloud service provider. They recently launched data center in Minneapolis on May, 2018.
- Evolve IP: Last but not the least, evolve ip provides virtual private cloud, hosted exchange service, LAN management, DRaaS Suite, PCI Complaince, etc. They also have strong backup facilities.
I hope that you find this information about cloud computing services useful. With that, if you are willing to get cloud computing, which company will you choose? If you already have a cloud service, what are the features of it? Tell me in comments below.