EBT Card Balance: Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) Cards have become very useful to many American families, especially in the Pandemic period. Low-income American families are taking good advantage of this card as EBT balance has become an essential part of their monthly budget. EBT is accessible for individuals or households of all sizes, on the basis of their income.
If you’re an existing EBT user, then you probably know its complete beneficial features. However, if you are new and want to know more about EBT cards and to apply for them. Then you are going to get your answers in this article. Other than this, we will also provide you with simple steps through which you can check your EBT Card Balance. If you also want to know How To Check Your EBT Card Balance, then read the following information till the end.
Table Of Contents
What is EBT Card?
EBT Cards are electronic cards that have been issued by the Government of the United States. It is just like debit cards and eligible American citizens can avail several benefits of EBT cards. It is usually used for SNAP (Supplemental Nutritional Assitance Program) benefits. In the modern era, SNAP has replaced the outdated food stamps coupons.
Now, your benefits are paid into your account on monthly basis, and you can make payments from your account through an electronic card, such as a debit or credit card. In addition to that, the users can use their EBT card for withdrawing cash, therefore, this makes it too simple for using your EBT card for purchasing unapproved items as well.
With an EBT card, you can buy fruit and vegetables, meat, seafood, Eggs, Dairy or Non-dairy products, Bread, cereals, grains, Baking ingredients, Non-alcoholic beverages, Snacks foods, and more. However, you can’t buy Alcoholic beverages, Tobacco products, Medicines, Electronics, Clothes, cosmetics, or other personal items, Household supplies, Hygiene and grooming items, Gambling/lottery tickets, and more with EBT cards.
How to Check Your EBT Card Balance By State? Check EBT Card Balance Online
- Step 1: At first, go to the official login portal of ebtEDGE cardholder, the link for which is https://www.ebtedge.com/
- Step 1: In the respective fields of the login portal, fill your User ID and Username.
- Step 2: After this, you have to click on the Login button to access your online account.
- Step 3: After you are successfully logged in, go to the “Check Account Balance.”
- Step 4: Now, key in your card number and your Social Security Number as well.
- Step 5: At last, click on the ‘Check Balance’ button to proceed, and your EBT account balance will be displayed on the next screen. You can also check your transaction history online just by following simple steps.
Check EBT Card Balance Online (By State)
- Every state has its individual website for checking the EBT balance. However, there are around 20 states that use this website: https://www.connectebt.com/ for the same. If your state doesn’t use this web portal, then you can simply search the individual website of your state online.
- Once you have visited the official website of your state, you can enter your username and password and can directly log into your account.
- If you are using the www.connectebt.com website then, you will see a drop-down menu on the homepage. Select your state from the given options and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- At last, enter your login credentials and after getting access to your account, you can easily check your EBT Card Balance and transaction history as well.
Check EBT Card Balance Without Card Number
- Step 1: In this situation, go to the balance check page by visiting the official website of your state.
- Step 2: Now, you have to find the phone number for EBT card customer service on that page.
- Step 3: Once you find it, dial that customer service number, and follow the prompt accordingly. Select the prompt to talk to their official customer care executive.
- Step 4: Tell the issue to that representative and give the asked credentials to the executive which will ensure your identity.
- Step 5: As soon as the identification process is completed, you can easily check your EBT card balance.
How to Make a Purchase by Using EBT Card?
- There are many stores in America that accept EBT cards, so you have to go to that store. Make sure to ask the same at the billing counter before making any purchase (if there’s no sign on the door).
- Once it is confirmed that the store accepts EBT, make some purchases of the appropriate items that are allowed on your card.
- At the billing counter, swipe your card and enter your four-digit PIN.
- If in case you get TANF cash assistance, then there are some stores that give you cashback on a purchase. Once you have entered your PIN, you’ll be asked if you want the cashback.
- The transaction must be accepted provided you have adequate money on the card. Make sure to have a brief look at the receipt to check you were charged the right amount. Also, keep the receipt for future reference.
One should take note that the amount transferred into the EBT card may differ based on the state. However, it is an excess of all the requirements needed to buy groceries as well as food items for the family of four, including kids.
From the total price of the goods which the EBT Card user is buying, all the taxes and additional charges get deducted. As we have described above, you can’t purchase everything with the EBT card as there are some restrictions on certain items.
EBT Cards will be accepted in those stores that allow EBT payment. While making payment, the amount is debited from the account of the cardholder and is then credited to the retailer’s account after 10:00 PM. EBT card is exclusively for the cash benefits as well as for the SNAP benefits for the American citizen with low or zero income.
Usually, the welfare of the state put in $782 in the card, and it can be used all over the month, but on the selected items only. To know how to check the EBT card balance, please read the below-given instructions carefully.